Sunday, September 26, 2010

lady liberty


One place my kids have been so excited to see is The Statue of Liverty (as G calls it).
The other day I was watching the news and G saw someone burning flag. He looked at me and said sadly, 'mom did you see that person burning the flag? I said, 'yeah, but we would never do that. we treat the flag with respect.' To which G said, yes, and we always put our hand over our heart when we see the flag.... and the statue of liverty.'
So we had to take them.

It was incredible!
I wasn't expecting to be so awe struck by something I have seen thousands of times in books and magazines.
It was amazing, powerful, and majestic.

We took the ferry from NJ.
It was so fun for the kids to be on the boat.
K of course was nervous and absolutely certain that we would sink (when we pulled into the dock, the boat scraped a pole and K thought we were gonners. He thought the boat was splitting in half- I love this kid!).

This was the building the ferry sailed from, I loved it!
G and J brought this pair of binoculars from home.
G kept watching off the side of the boat.
He swears he saw a whale. He told me he saw water squirting up.
I didn't have the heart to tell him we were on a river...


This was the building at Ellis Island.
I loved being here.
In the 1950's my dad and grandad and nana came through here, from England, with their family of 5 kids and $600.00, to be where the church was and to help it grow.
B loved hanging out in the front pack. He is such a sweet and good baby.

Some great shots of our lady

I love the detail you can see in these two pictures.




The NY skyline is amazing.
J being a little mischevious

What could have been better than getting off the ferry and having mr. softee there to greet us.
This was a great day trip and we cannot wait to go again!

4 comments:

sugaryfrogs.blogspot.com said...

What whales aren't in rivers?
What a great trip!!!!

Gage said...

Very Cool. http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2007-05-16-whales-sacramento_N.htm
Whales do occasinally swim up rivers. Who knows? Go G!!

katik said...

What fun! I hope you do get to go again, soon. And your kids have the most fabulous smiles.

The Davies Family said...

I know something better...NOT getting on the ferry because someone brought industrial strength pepper spray AND a knife with them...then the infamous 'mugging' incident on Canal street! ahhh yes..good times..in fact I was having flashbacks just this past Saturday..it was over the RS broadcast we made that incredible journey to NY